Monday, February 6, 2012

Tomato Catsup or Ketchup

Catsup or Ketchup?  Which do you prefer?  Back in the hollow, we used to make our own catsup.  And, it was so much better than anything you buy in stores today.  The main reason was probably the home grown tomatoes.  I don't remember our catsup calling for as much salt as in this vintage recipe.  I think this recipe could be a great starting point if you wanted to make your on catsup.  Just use a couple of cans of crushed tomatoes and adjust the seasoning to your own taste.  And, definitely taste before adding salt!  I'm betting a tablespoon would be sufficient.

TOMATO CATSUP—This catsup has a good relish on account of the onion in it. Wash ripe tomatoes, cut them in slices and cook slowly for one hour. Press through a sieve to take out the seeds and skin. To one quart of this pulp and juice add one tablespoon of cinnamon, one of black pepper and one of mustard, one teaspoon of cayenne, one-half cup of salt and two onions chopped fine. Simmer two and one-half hours, then add two cups of vinegar, cook an hour longer. Put in sterilized bottles and seal.  Refrigerate.

1 comment:

Sunflower Sue said...

I remember when the stuff we buy in the stores Ketchup was called Catsup. That might be due to the fact I am from the north. It wasn't because we made it.

It sounds really good, I do think I will try making some this summer when my tomatoes start coming in.