Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mush Biscuits

I sometimes think about how the Internet has changed our world and wonder how my grandparents would have felt about it.  They faced so many changes during their lifetimes, from the Model T to the moon landing.  Our generation has seen so much in the last 20 years that it boggles the mind.  The fact that I’m typing this post on a laptop that cost a quarter of what my first computer did and takes up hardly any space is proof of our tech advancements.  And, I’m behind the times as I should probably be posting this from my iPhone!

These days I’m more apt to search for a recipe online rather than in a cookbook.  One of my Grandmothers also embraced technology.  In her generation, it was the typewriter.  While many older recipes are handwritten, most of hers were typed out.  I’m sure she, like me, found the handwritten ones hard to understand sometimes.  I can almost see her hunkered over her typewriter pecking out recipes for future generations.  I think she’d be pleased that the recipes she saved for me are now finding their way to you and the world.

Mush Biscuits

1 cake yeast

1/2 cup lukewarm water

1 & 1/2 cup corn meal

1 quart boiling water

1 tablespoon salt

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons lard

about 1 quart of plain flour, sifted

NOON:  Soak 1 cake yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water, scald 1 & 1/2 cups cornmeal with 1 quart boiling water and immediately add to cornmeal 1 tablespoon salt, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons lard.  When cool, add yeast and set aside.

EVENING:  Add sifter of flour or enough for stiff dough.  Knead until dough is smooth or does not stick.  Grease top and set aside to raise.

MORNING:  Knead dough.  Cut out biscuits for dinner.  Place in greased pan to rise, grease top.  Bake in moderate oven until brown.  Set remainder of dough, with greased top in refrigerator.  (will keep for 2 or 3 days in refrigerator)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How much is a “cake” of yeast? I have packets of instant yeast.