Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th

I slept late.  I slept late because there was a sales meeting that day and I didn't have to be there until nine o'clock.  One of our agents came in late to the meeting and said a plane had just hit one of the World Trade Centers.  I remember thinking it was probably one of those little private planes again and how terrible it was for the pilot.  And, I also hoped no one was hurt.

By the time the meeting was over, we headed to the office and my first bit of 'official' news was from the radio.  Things were still sketchy at that point, but I remember crying.  Once in the office, I learned the other tower had been hit and realization dawned.  This was a planned attack.  I called my parents and they were at home watching it all unfold on television.  I wonder how many times I said 'I love you' that day.  Didn't we all?

I had a friend that was on a flight that morning and remember having no way to reach him other than e-mail.  The internet was my first sight of pictures.  It just didn't seem real.  I had a lunch meeting that day that could not be canceled.  The restaurant was deserted.  You see, I worked near Fort Campbell, and most everyone in the area was in or connected to the military.  My boss at the time actually made a joke about my being afraid, and I lashed out.  We were all thinking that we could be next.  Rumors were everywhere.  I was so thankful for the work day to end so I could go home to my family.

That night I was able to see the total devastation on the networks. When President Bush addressed the nation, I remember thinking how thankful I was that he was President.  I didn't always feel that way in the years to come, but it changed the way I looked at our leaders forever.  Our world changed forever, and we all knew it.  Historians can judge our actions in the months and years to follow, but at that moment, we came together as a nation.  Don't we always?  That's something those that stand against us can never understand.  We are one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.  God Bless America!

1 comment:

mattyjs said...

Thanksgiving Day is traditionally a day for families and friends to get together for a special meal. The meal often includes a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, pumpkin pie, and vegetables at dealaboo. Thanksgiving Day is a time for many people to give thanks for what they have. On Thanksgiving Day merchants offer crazy deals at almost unbelievably low prices.