Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Potato Doughnuts

Is there anything in the world better than a fresh, warm doughnut? Okay, so maybe they are not so good for us, but every once in a while you definitely need one. Have you ever tried making your own? Mom would make them with canned biscuits and sprinkle them with sugar. Sometimes though, she would make them with leftover mashed potatoes. Yes, you heard me right, potatoes. She even had a special doughnut cutter. Of course, the holes were the best part! If you've never had a potato doughnut, try this vintage recipe sometime.
.
Potato Doughnuts
.
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 cup sweet milk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoon shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
.
Beat mashed potatoes, add melted shortening, beaten eggs, and milk. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the liquid. Dough should be soft yet firm enough to roll. Separate dough into 2 parts and roll each out to thickness of 3/4 inch. Cut with doughnut cutter and cook in deep fat (365-f) fry to golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Dust with powdered sugar or sugar and cinnamon mixture.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marge, How is life 'up there' in Bumpus Mills????

My hubby loves doughnuts (Krispy Kreams)--and I won't let him get them (since I shouldn't eat them)... Your recipe might be an alternative.. I'll bet he would like those Potato Doughnuts.... Maybe I'll try that recipe sometime.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Marge said...

Hi Betsy! I've been under the weather so that's why I haven't posted in a while. I'll be back on track soon. We're just bracing for SNOW tomorrow...lol...I thought it was Spring!!!