Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ice in the Hollow

Well, this is a little more than ice, but I love snow so much that I could not resist posting this picture. Most winters anymore, we just get a little snow and ice. This is from the snow storm we had in February 2008 and it was our biggest in a number of years. Last night we got a lot of ice, but not the pretty kind that hangs on the trees. It's the kind that covers the roads, steps and cars in a thick coating. Even so, it's unusual for us to get this before Christmas these days. The ice storm that recently hit the Northeast is one of the biggest ever. Some of those people will be without electricity for weeks until the lines are repaired. I guess all of this made me think of those winters in the hollow. I remember a BIG snowstorm that hit one January just before school was going to start back after Christmas break. It started sleeting in the early evening. After about an inch of sleet/ice, the snow started falling. The next day we had over a foot of snow and some pretty high drifts. School was closed for weeks, and I didn't actually go back until February. We were without electricity for a couple of weeks, but Mom kept us warm and busy. We played cards, games and put together puzzles by kerosene lamps. Without heat, our pipes froze. Mom had a lot of experience with frozen pipes and living with well water. As soon as the sleet started, Mom started filling every empty container available with water. Of course, the biggest container of all was the bathtub. It was filled to the brim. It was a big adventure to me. I made my biggest snowman ever and of course, Snow Cream! These days everyone hits the grocery store for supplies when a big storm is forecast. But, I have an undeniable urge to fill the bathtub with water just in case....

Snow Cream

1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup of half & half
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Very large bowl of clean snow - enough for desired consistency

Choose very clean snow. We usually took it from the top of a car after several inches had fallen. Scrape off a little of the top layer, and then you only want to scoop off a couple of inches down. Mix milk, half & half, sugar and vanilla. Add snow a little at a time stirring constantly. When it reaches the desired thickness, pour into bowls and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your Blog and think it is time for more people to read this information. I have start a Link Buddy system join me on this exciting project and get people to visit your sight. It is all for free at http://www.linkbuddy.blogspot.com/

KathyM said...

I remember snow cream too!! Back in the winters when we had a lot of snow.