Friday, July 13, 2012

Mustard and Onion Sandwiches

Hardly a Summer passes when I don't remember Mom feeding me mustard and onion sandwiches.  She would toast up two slices of white bread, spread mustard on both sides and add onion slices.  I never missed the meat.  Back in the hollow, I didn't realize it was because we had run out out of food before payday.  Mom found a way to make a meal stretch without making us feel deprived.  Almost once a week we would have SOS on toast.  SOS you ask?  It's a white gravy with ground beef or chipped beef crumbled in for good measure.  If times were really good, she would serve it with green peas on top.  As a child, I hated green peas.  I've come to accept them as an adult.  But, back in the hollow, Daddy tried to make me eat them one night at supper.  I made a production of picking a pea up off the plate, placing it carefully on my spoon, and then putting it in my mouth.  Then I took a big gulp of milk and swallowed it whole while making a disgusting face and shaking all over.  After the third pea, Daddy gave up and told me to leave the table.  He'd be rolling in the floor with laughter if he saw me willingly eating them today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a small child my mother would wake up during the night and eat a mustard & green onion sandwich. If I woke up she would fix one for me. It was a special time of bonding. I had not thought of them in years until last week. When I was at the store I made a point to pick up some green onions. Tonight I made the sandwich. It was as good as I remembered. I wondered if anyone else ever had them and found this blog. I spent my early childhood in Tennessee. Guess it’s a Tennessee thing. I enjoyed your post.