Saturday, July 18, 2009

Home Grown Green Beans



These are 'home grown' green beans a friend gave me recently. You can tell they are 'home grown' because they're not the perfect specimens you find in cans at your grocery store. It doesn't get much fresher than this! Maybe it's the fact that they're 'organic' without trying to be or the fact that I spent a wonderful hour snapping them, but these are the best beans I've had in a very long time.



Just cooking these green beans brought back memories of my Grandmother's kitchen and Summer canning. One Summer we had so many beans, Mom and Grandma harvested them by the clothes basket full while I snapped beans and manned the pressure cooker. For years there was always a quart jar of green beans to be found in the basement. Add a dab of bacon drippings, simmer for a couple of hours, and you have the perfect vegetable. Try it sometime with store canned beans if fresh aren't available. You'll have a taste of Summer and make some memories of your own.

1 comment:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marge, I love fresh green beans also... I cook them with little red potatoes. There's nothin' better!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy