Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vintage Tablecloths & Sunday Supper

I love vintage tablecloths. Just looking at them brings back memories of food laden tables and Sunday supper. That supper usually included fried chicken during the plentiful days. In the summer, when fresh vegetables were abundant, the supper was mostly made of 'side dishes' and meat was used more as a flavoring than the center of attention.
.
In my great-grandparents home, all the adults would eat supper first. Then the young children would be fed. We were not allowed at the supper table until all the adults were finished eating. I can still remember playing with my cousins and my older brother sneaking us a piece of fried chicken to 'hold us over' to supper-time. Grandma didn't follow this custom and neither did Mom. But, anytime we were in our great-grandparents home, it was the unspoken rule. I've often wondered where that custom originated. I don't have a lot of memories of my great-grandparents. Some of the memories are of them being in the 'sick' bed. Most often though, I remember Mammie in the kitchen making coffee or reading the Bible to me, and DaddyBurke in the front porch swing. It's sad that those days ended long before I made it to the 'big' table. I would have loved to 'listen in' on the conversation and carry those memories with me.
.
If you don't like okra, try substituting dill pickle slices in this recipe.
.
Fried Okra
.
1 pound fresh okra
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
enough oil to cover bottom of frying pan 1/4 inch deep
.
Wash okra and remove stems. Cut into 1/2 inch slices or leave whole, if desired. Combine flour, corn meal, salt and paprika. While okra is still damp from washing dip into flour mixture. Fry in oil -medium high - until brown. Drain on paper towels.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marge, It was great to hear from you on my blog. For some reason, I thought you weren't blogging anymore.

We always had a big Sunday DINNER --and it was at noon after we all came home from church. But--I don't remember the kids having to wait... I'm sure it happened --but I don't remember it.

I do remember that my ex-husband used to be so upset when he went to Christmas dinner at his grandfather's home --and all of the kids (including him when he was in COLLEGE) had to eat at their own table on the porch. He hated that --especially at his age.

I love okra.. Thanks for the recipe.
Hugs,
Betsy

The Budgeting Diva said...

We were over at a friend's house for a cookout tonight and were just reminiscing about being at the "kid's table" and the adults being served first.